Saturday, June 24, 2017
8:45 am - 2:00 pm
Colonial Lake Park
46-54 Ashley Ave
Charleston, SC, 29401
Open to everyone, the Chucktown Redfish Roundup will be the first universally accessible saltwater fishing tournament anywhere in the United States. Saltwater anglers from all walks-of-life and all abilities will participate side-by-side. Charleston’s most avid Redfish anglers will be trying their best to take home the $1,000 top prize. Fishing skills will be on the line, and the more fish you catch the better your odds of taking home the cash prizes.
On the morning on Saturday, June 24, 2017, at least 40 hungry, legal size, and food-quality Redfish (a.k.a. Red Drum) will be released into Colonial Lake. Within Charleston’s Historic District, Colonial Lake is 10 acres in size and tidal influenced through connection to Charleston Harbor. Huge concrete sidewalks at water’s edge and a recent $5.6 million renovation make Colonial Lake one of the most accessible saltwater fishing venues in the USA.
Tournament anglers that catch a tagged redfish can place the tag into the fishbowl raffle-jar at tournament check-in tent. At the end of the tournament, a raffle using all recaptured tags will determine $250, $500 and $1,000 winners. Additional tournament prizes will be awarded for the longest Flounder, Spotted Sea Trout, and Blue Crab.
Proceeds will benefit Charleston’s Paralympic Sports Club, Adaptive Expeditions (AE). AE fulfills a critical mission to use education, sport, and outdoor recreation adventures to empower individuals who have physical and sensory disabilities with technical skills, opportunities, and confidence to maintain active, independent lifestyles. AE builds communities where outdoor adventure seekers and Paralympic hopefuls can share ideas and common experiences, have fun, push limits, and redefine what’s possible. All proceeds from this event will support Adaptive Expedition’s emerging adaptive fishing program.
- Advanced registration fee of $40 per angler. Advance registration available until noon on June 23, 2017. Register here!!
- $50 on-site registration open from 8:30am – 9:45am.
- Entrance fee reduced 50% for all anglers presenting a current disability hangtag / parking placard with angler’s photo and/or full legal name (applies to onsite registration only, ID required.)
- First 100 registrants to check-in on June 24 will receive a tournament t-shirt.
- A disabled parking access plan will be distributed in early June.
Tournament Timing (June 24, 2017):
- Tournament on-site registration open from 8:30am – 9:45am under the tents at the corner nearest Broad St. and Rutledge Avenue.
- All tournament participants must check-in before 9:45am.
- Captains meeting at 9:46am.
- Tournament fishing begins at 10:00am and ends at 1:30pm.
- Fish check-in opens at 1:00pm and ends at 1:40pm.
- Award ceremony begins at 1:45pm.
- Tournament will happen rain or shine.
- While fishing, all anglers must wear visible tournament registration number on the outermost layer of clothing. Registration number bibs to be distributed at tournament check-in booth 8:30am – 9:45am.
- Each tournament angler allowed maximum of one (1) rod, two (2) hooks fished at one time, and two (2) crabbing strings.
- All fishing equipment must be controlled primarily by the tournament angler wearing the numbered bib.
Now open to sponsorship opportunities. Contact Adaptive Expeditions for more information. Current sponsor and support commitments include: